Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Autumn in the Grand Tetons















I awoke again around 4:30 but there was no elk outside the car this morning. I decided to drive out to Hayden Valley and try my luck looking for wildlife. I heard the bugling all around again but I couldn't spot any bulls. I got my sleeping bag out and laid on the front of the car looking out over the valley. It was eerily quiet when all of a sudden I heard hooves pounding on the pavement behind me. I turned my head to see a giant buffalo crossing the road. I froze. I've seen first hand how these guys can move when they are surprised. He passed within 10 feet of me. He eventually moved off the road and down the sloping hillside. It was a simple reminder of just how wild the area is. Then I heard a loud HOO HOO! Across the road, in a low tree sat a large owl. It was easily the largest owl I've ever seen. Then, like it was called, a good sized coyote ran down the road, stopped, and kept on running. Yellowstone coyotes are wolf-size and dwarf coyotes around Ohio. I sat there and watched the sun come up over the valley. I then realized that a huge heard of bison were down in the valley but I couldn't see them because of the darkness. I could hear them grunting at each other in the darkness. It was another perfect morning.








I went back to the lodge for breakfast and had the buffet again. I got my money's worth and headed south toward the southern entrance. I passed a few giant elk on the way out. I snapped some photos and kept on. I eventually left Yellowstone Park just to enter Grand Teton National Park. Now Yellowstone was pretty in its own right but there wasn't as much fall color as I was expecting. The Tetons however, was magnificently vibrant and golden.






The majority of the trees inside the Tetons are birch trees and all of them were golden with color. The snow white of the trunks and the extreme yellow of the leaves contrasting against the blue sky was brilliant. I found it hard to drive at any sensible speed because I was enthralled with shooting prolific fall scenes. The Teton Mountain Range is magnificent all by itself but with all the added color, it was beyond imagination. I decided that fall was the best time of year to visit this park for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment