Sunday, October 25, 2009

The start of the best day ever. . . . really!






I had slept in my car in the Yellowstone Lake Hotel parking lot and it got down into the 30's that night. I woke up around 4:30 AM because I was cold and had to use the facilities. I got out of the car and suddenly the air was filled with the majestic bugling of the male Elk. A male and his group of cows was 50-75 yards away and strutting his stuff. I quickly reached for my binoculars because there was no way to get a picture without light at that distance. I then spent the next hour and a half observing them. The bull held his head and full rack of antlers (6x6 I think) up high as he strut around. Steam poured out of his nostrils as he answered all the other bugles from other males in the area, there were lots. It was a constant sound all around and it was awesome. I was looking forward to having an experience like this more than anything else on this trip and I got exactly what I wanted. A buck mule deer came up over a ridge and caught the elks attention. The squared off a bit but the mule deer eventually gave way and left. As the eastern sky turned orange with the sun it reflected off Lake Yellowstone and the world looked golden. It truely was astounding.




A fellow on-looker mentioned he came down from watching wolves at Dunraven Pass so I decided to hop in the car and check it out. I drove along the Yellowstone River where a thin mist was rising and took some neat pictures. I then drove through one of my favorite places, Hayden Valley. A thin fog was rolling down one hill of the valley and up the hills at the other side. It truely was a sight. I snapped some more shots and continued north toward the wolves. I was a few miles from Dunraven Pass when I came upon a bunch of cars and folks with cameras. Naturally I investigated. I a walked away from my car with my camera I came to the edge of a cliff and looked down on an enourmous grizzley bear. It was 10-15 yards down hill and foraging through the trees. I took a quick snap shot and then the park ranger arrived. I was repeatedly told to step away and go back to my car. It wasn't so much the ranger that made me back away as it was the bear coming up the hill to see what the noise was. I backed away quickly trying to take pictures but with both he and I moving, none really turned out. I ended up backing into my car and quickly getting in. I reached for my keys first thing, naturally and decided it wasn't a good idead to test my luck for any more shots as the bear approached. It walked along the passenger side of the car and stood up by the front window. Its fur brushed up against the car he was so close. It then hopped down and ran up the hill next to the road. I'll admit I was a little nervous. It was almost as tall as the car on all fours! I had never seen a grizzly so close before that I didn't need binoculars. It was a pleasant surprise.
I got to Dunraven Pass just in time to watch the pack of wolves run up ito the hills. They were easily 300 yards away but I got to hear them faintly and watch them for a few moments. I then looked at my watch and realized it was nearly 9:00 and I was starving. I made my way back down to Canyon Lodge and enjoyed a breakfast buffet by a huge stone fireplace. It was delicious, warming, and cozy. . . . . . it was still quite chilly outside. It was here by the fire I decided it could be the start of the best day ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment