Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 1





I finally entered the park and passed through the Archway at 7AM. It was 50 degrees and perfectly clear outside. I stopped to see Mammoth Hot Springs and some scenic rivers along the way. I had done some research before hand and I had decided to try my luck fishing Soda Butte Creek near the Lamar River Valley. I saw the first of many buffalo along the way and I came acrross remains of kills that I think were wolves. I found out that the biggest pack in the park roam that area. The buffalo bones are enormous!


I found a turn out and started to gear up for fly fishing. It was a short hike to Soda Butte Creek and I came across more bones. I also found a great spot to start fishing. I was using a small PMD that came recommended at the local fly shop off of a hopper. Right away I caught a decent cutthroat on the hopper but that was the only one that took it. I caught a few others on the dropper and then a few more in the evening on a drake dry fly. None of these cutthroats were bigger then 16 inches but they all were gorgeous. I had a blast and gained a lot of confidence in my abilities. I met an older couple later in the day who were from San Fransisco that offered some advise on flies. . . . . that's when I started with the drake. They later invited me to have cocktails with them that I politely declined. I enjoyed the sunset out on the river and called it a day. I drove down to Canyon Village to have a late dinner at the lodge before driving further down to Yellowstone Lake Lodge to find a place to sleep. It was then that I realized I was destined to sleep in my Camry every night when I heard all the campgrounds were filled up. I was bummed but it really did work out for the best. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment